Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Winter of My Discontent

I hate to be cold. I mean I really, really hate to be cold. I don't know many people who do like it, but by contrast, my Aunt loves Winter. Certain things don't run all through the family, it seems.

This morning the wind chill knocked the temperature down into the single digits -- for humans. I read recently that humans are the only ones effected by wind chill. Not animals. Not inanimate objects. Lucky us.

Fortunately, my truck is only a few short steps from my front door, but the 90 second walk from my parking spot at work to the office bordered on painful -- a punishment meted out by the angry wind for having the audacity to venture through it.

The bottom line is that I live in the wrong part of the country to enjoy the weather I prefer. The Hindus have a saying that, "you are where you want to be". Basically, whether it be your geographical location or your current situation, you've made choices that have put you where you are. I've chosen to be here, to buy a home here, to work here, to live near family and friends.

I'll migrate south later. Or west. Maybe in five or ten years. Somewhere in proximity to a beach or at least with weather conducive to a relaxing motorcycle ride even if it's the middle of February.

Until then, I'll just have to turn my collar to the cold and look forward to the longer and warmer days to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, south. Yeah west. Yeah live to ride.
Route 66 somewhere with a little landscape, something with at least three seasons and something like dreaming of it now warms me just a little...even when I look out there and see the white junk falling again today... Schotz