Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Historic

He made history last night.

Will he make it again in November?

My crystal ball is still in Beta testing, but I'm thinking Yes. If it were to come down to the strength of his oratory, he should just be sworn in immediately.

My feelings are mixed. I believe the country is just as ready for a black president as it is for a woman. I think Hillary's would have been a remarkable presidency. Think about it -- The President and the First Gentleman, who would also rightly be addressed as "Mister President".

Frankly, in the state that the country is in now, it may have been a huge advantage to have two presidents in the White House. Maybe that would help get things done in half the time. Regardless of anyone's opinions of the Clintons, they are very good at the business of government and getting things done.

But the fat lady is only warming up. Will Hillary be asked to serve as Vice President? If so, then she's almost a shoe-in in 2016 if Obama has a popular presidency. If not, she could still conceivably run again. Why not? Nixon did it. After losing to Kennedy in 1960, he came back to get elected to our highest office in 1968.

Time will tell. Until then, I'll look forward to casting my vote and watching history unfold.

No comments: