Thursday, June 5, 2008

One A Day

I'm a Scotch drinker. I'm not certain exactly how that came about, but I think I got there by way of a friend who first introduced me to Cognac -- the better varieties of which aren't too different from single malt scotch...at least as far as my palette is concerned (doubtless to the horror of true scotch purists).

An interesting bit of trivia: If it's from Scotland, it's Scotch (but people from there are Scots). The Irish make Whiskey and in America it's called Bourbon. It's basically the same drink made in different places.

My first taste of Scotch was probably when I was in my late teens or early twenties. It was a blend. I was certain I would never drink it again after it went down like paint thinner. People enjoy this? My throat felt like I had been gargling with drain cleaner.

The Cognac was a very different experience. It had a bite, but not the angry claws of the blended liquors. Remy Martin XO and Louis XIII emerged as two of my favorites.

Years later at a band practice, our bassists father offered us drinks and opened up his Scotch cabinet. I cringed. I didn't want to be rude or prude, but I could feel my throat constricting as he poured us all a glass. That which does not kill us, makes us strong. -- Nietzsche

I took a sip and... <insert Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" here>

Um....what kind of Scotch is this? I don't remember what he said other than "single malt". Ahh...vive la difference. I had no idea there was Scotch that was this....well....good. The next time I found myself in a bar, I ordered one for myself. Sure, Pal...what kind?

Oops. I new nothing about Scotch other than I liked it. My mind raced. All I could think of was the scene in Highlander where Christopher Lambert orders a drink. Glenmorangie, please.

I had chosen wisely. It was smooth with earthy aromas and a nice finish. Since then, I've experimented with several others -- The Glenlivet (at least the 15 year old, if you please), The Macallan, The Dalmore.... Glenmorangie has a cool motto: Crafted by the 16 Men of Tain. I have no idea what that means, but I like it.

So I've taken to having a glass (two if I'm being indulgent) every day. If I had to justify it, I'd say that it's been shown that a drink or two a day for men over 40 helps reduce the risk of heart attack -- along with other benefits. But that's not why I drink it.

It's been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. - Abraham Lincoln

No comments: