Sunday, April 6, 2008

Goodnight, Sweet Prince of Hur

I was saddened at hearing of the passing of one of my favorite actors of all time, Charlton Heston. I've enjoyed his films for decades and he has starred in many of my favorites: Ben-Hur, El Cid, The Ten Commandments, The Greatest Show on Earth, Planet of the Apes, The Agony and the Ecstasy, the list goes on and on....

I found this tribute to him on YouTube that includes a few famous film clips set to an acoustic version of Oasis' Wonderwall:
And now I post in his honor a triumvirate of his most memorable film clips -- the first, his soliloquy as the Player King in Kenneth Branagh's 1996 complete version of Hamlet, Act II Scene II:

Amazing, right? As much as I had enjoyed him for years, I had no idea he was that good.

Secondarily, a scene in which he speaks one of his most memorable lines of all time from Planet of the Apes.


Now grab some popcorn and enjoy one of the greatest sequences ever filmed -- months to shoot but lasting only nine minutes on screen, it remains a cornerstone of movie greatness. Chuck doesn't have any lines, but it is him driving the chariot.

No comments: