Monday, April 7, 2008

Us and Them

I just don't want to be like one of them. Some years ago living in Germany, they were Mercedes drivers. I found it a strange dichotomy that in some ways, the Mercedes drivers were slightly resented by nearly every other driver -- probably because they would rather have been Mercedes drivers themselves -- yet they seemed to get the better parking spaces and "got away" with far more driving infractions than the rest of the unwashed.

What, like they were better or something? No, but their cars were. In the card deck of German automotive hierarchy, the Ace may be Porsche, but Mercedes is King (with Audi and VW doubtless filling in the remaining face cards). Logically then, if someone has the good sense and wherewithal to drive the country's flagship automobile, they certainly merit some additional consideration, Ja? Klar.

The only other country with a similar mentality is Italy. The prancing horse is the unofficial national symbol and Ferrari is nothing less than a hero. It's amazing that Enzo himself hasn't been canonized. Watch any Formula 1 race in Italy and the stands are full of fans waving bright red Ferrari flags half the size of Rhode Island. Put an Italian in a Ferrari winning an Italian Grand Prix and the celebrations in the streets would last for days while the pilot's place on Mount Olympus would be assured.

But this is America. I purchased pre-owned to avoid the insane depreciation that sucks the value from every new car. I got a V6 to conserve gas, all wheel drive for the three times a year I'll actually have to navigate snow, an almost bumper-to-bumper four year warranty, and the safest light truck in its class for my peace of mind. This truck practically dropped into my lap as we were closing the deal for Dena's car. Yes, I have as many good, practical reasons for owning this truck as I have misdirecting rationalizations for clouding the snob appeal -- which did factor ever so slightly in my decision to accept fate and acquire the Benz.

And despite my commanding view of the road, I'll not use it to look down on my fellow drivers -- after all, I don't want to be mistaken for one of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, God knows we all love ya. But your armour says you have crossed to the other side.
Enjoy your new chariot. Maybe I'll cruz up next to you on the Harley and wave.
wink wink
Schotz

SavageWit said...

Oh sure, rub it in. I had a choice -- a new Harley or replace my truck. Unfortunately, the Harley has to come second right now.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes. You´ve always been a Mercedes driver - you just didn´t know it. You are also a Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Lotus driver - you just don´t have the funds.......yet.

I agree with your "stars of German cars" line-up, but I´m sure BMW would have a cow to see you promote VW (hack) over them. (and FYI, they ARE leading the team standings in F1!)

Be happy and proud to drive your Kraut-mobile, and take time to look down on on some of the other drivers. It´s great practice for when you finally get your Harley!!!

KaiserMichi

SavageWit said...

A pox upon me for an ignorant lout. I'm sure I meant to include BMW and move VW a bit further down the list. Meine Schuld. Shame on me. Must have been a brain cramp.