Saturday, April 19, 2008

Meet Billie Jean

I try to resist the rare urge to comment on pop culture because a lot of it is like bubble gum for the mind.

But I'm a musician and when I hear something special I feel compelled to share it. I've mentioned before that we watch American Idol. In my opinion, this year has a far greater percentage of really great talent than a few previous years combined.

One of the favorites who consistently turns in superior and original performances is David Cook. He knows his instrument and how to use it beautifully no matter what the theme of the week (two weeks were Beatles tunes, a recent week was Mariah Carey, etc...). One of the themes was to choose a song from the year of the contestant's birth.

David chose a Chris Cornell (of Soundgarden and Audioslave) arrangement of 1983's Billie Jean by Michael Jackson. Thriller was a great album, but I didn't love Billie Jean until I heard this version -- which I think David sings better than Chris Cornell, by the way.

No comments: