Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gentlemen (and Ladies), Start Your Engines

Any racing fans looking forward to the Indianapolis 500 today? As much as I enjoy auto and motorcycle racing, I can rarely make the time to watch it.

But I can't resist the yearly Memorial Day weekend showdown at the Brickyard. I love the fanfare, the back stories, the drama, and of course the two and a half hours of adreneline-fueled, open wheeled excitement.

I'll be cheering for my favorite Fast Woman, Danica Patrick. After finally winning at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan, it's time for her to capture a victory at a major American race.

And let's give a brief nod to Janet Guthrie -- the first woman to qualify for both the Indianapolis 500 and the Daytona 500 back in 1977. Without her, there would be no Danica (as we know her).

No comments: