Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In Memoriam

Sydney Irwin Pollack 7/1/34 - 5/26/08


He will be sorely missed. A brilliant director and a fine actor -- here's a scene with Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie", in which he directed and co-starred.


I remember always at least enjoying -- and some times loving -- any film that had his name attached to it. Sydney made the world a little better.... - George Clooney

And the final clip I'll post may be a bit dry for some, but as a film buff it's a subject close to my heart -- Sydney discusses Pan & Scan verses Widescreen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a time in my life. After working as a cook for a while, I went back to college and worked as a waiter because the hours and money were more accommodating. Well, those cooks couldn't do anything right in my mind and I told them so at every opportunity. They hated me and at the end of the year, they fashioned a hammer out of cardboard and aluminum foil and presented me with the "Hammerhead of the Year" award. I laughed and learned to lighten up (I think).

--gravity at work

PS: Thanks, SavageWit, for bringing a little Pollack into our lives today.