Saturday, March 15, 2008

Parisian Dreams

That the above black & white image seems nothing more than a forgotten old postcard does nothing to diminish its charm for me. Struck momentarily by the scene's relaxed simplicity, I captured this frame on a whim crossing the Seine River in August of 1991 while on the way to the best little ice cream cafe in Paris. I'm afraid I don't remember the name of it and certainly couldn't spell it if I did, let alone pronounce it.

Magnifique -- which I can pronounce -- is how I would later describe not only the ice cream, but the City of Lights itself despite our introduction being all too brief. While living in Hamburg, I had accompanied my best friend, his wife, and their three year old daughter in a cramped RV across Germany, Luxembourg, and France to a rustic campground at Biscarosse Plage. We spent one day in Paris. I might as well have tried to enjoy Epcot Center in forty-five minutes.

But what an exceptional day it was. Up with the sun and on a train into the city to arrive at the gates of Le Louvre at its opening so we could see the Mona Lisa for ourselves. I don't recall how many wings Le Louvre has -- five, I think -- but we kept up a brisk pace for five hours to get through one of them. Would I do it all over again? Of course not. I'd want to explore a different wing.

From Le Louvre we headed to Notre Dame, Pont Neuf, and ultimately ended our day at the Eiffel Tower just before it stopped welcoming visitors. By then I was on cultural overload, even more so because my friend's wife was the only one of us who spoke French -- stranger in a strange land indeed.

I think of that vacation often and the brief, delicious slice of international flavor that warms my palette to this day. I've been back to Europe a few times since then, but not to Paris -- not yet, anyway. It's near the top of my "Must Revisit" list. It's going to have to be soon, I think. I have a craving for that amazing ice cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ja, das war fantastisch, oder?
Sorry buddy, but your Alzheimers is showing. It was August of 1992, and Adri turned four on the trip.
You do need to get back over here, though. Germany (and France and the Netherlands) miss you!
KaiserMichi

SavageWit said...

I was always terrible with dates. The trip was memorable none the less. Thanks for making me feel old(er).