Sunday, March 30, 2008

Something Blue

We made it to the car dealer yesterday (and back home before "lights out"). I had originally had my eye on a '99 Chevy Blazer that had been on this website for several months. It was everything I was looking for -- 4WD, 6-cyl, 20mpg, asking $5200...and it was blue.

It had sold literally five minutes before we showed up to look at it. What are the chances? I did, however, get a re-education in the finer points of automobile acquisition for those of us without the cash to pay and go.

No, I could not put the vehicle -- or any vehicle at this place -- on my American Express since they would have to kick back 3% to AmEx for the priviledge of accepting the card. Most banks are unwilling to finance a vehicle with over 100,000 miles regardless of age or condition. Most banks are also unwilling to finance anything over five or six years old regardless of condition or mileage.

Then I suggested putting only the down-payment on the card and the salesman winced, "I'm not sure I should be hearing anything about you using a credit card to borrow money to put down on a vehicle that you'll need to borrow money for". Okay...message received. The power of plastic is not all-encompassing.

So the bottom line is that I'll go back in a week with cash in hand and do the deal -- if I so choose. We ran the numbers and I'm approved, no problem. It's now for me to pick out something I can live with...and I'm not picky. The picture of the 2005 Jeep Liberty at the top of this post it what they had in stock that I liked. It's a great price, has a peppy 4cyl, 4WD...and it's blue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool!
Go for it.
KM